DEPARTMENT OF ORTHODONTICS AND DENTOFACIAL ORTHOPAEDICS
The department boasts of state- of- the –art equipments and teaching aids as stipulated by the DCI. Orthodontics is the oldest specialty in Dentistry. This department has seen many stalwarts in the Indian Orthodontic scene have their grooming here.
The MDS Degree courses were commenced in 1981 From an intake of 2 students per year, the present scenario admits 6 students ( 2 All- India candidates, 2 State candidates and 2 Service candidates).
Removable appliances, Fixed appliances, Begg ,Pre-Adjusted Edgewise, MBT, Lingual, Tip-Edge, Orthopedic and Functional appliances are being done regularly.
Habit breakers, splints, cranio-facial treatment, Cleft lip/ palate infant orthopedics and surgical orthodontics are some of the treatment carried out in conjunction with the Department of Oral and Maxillo-Facial Surgery , Plastic Units in Govt. General Hospital and Institute of Child Health.
A separate Cranio-Facial clinic is proposed , perhaps the first in the whole country.
The department has well qualified and experienced teachers who encourage active student participation in all curricular and co-curricular activities. The faculty themselves are driven to excel in academics and management of co-curricular activities.
Dr.M.C.SAINATH M.D.S., : Professor &HOD
Dr.G. VIMALA M.D.S., : Professor
Dr.S.PREM KUMAR M.D.S., : Professor
Dr.P.BALA SHANMUGAM M.D.S., : Assistant Professor
Dr.K.USHA M.D.S., : Assistant Professor
Dr.G.USHA RAO M.D.S., : Assistant Professor
Awards Won By Faculty Members
Dr.S.Prem Kumar M.D.S., Professor
1. Best scientific paper award conducted by Indian Orthodontic Society in 1997
2. Best scientific paper award for the second time conducted by Indian Orthodontic Society in 2005
3. Best scientific paper award for the third time conducted by Indian Orthodontic Society in 2012
a. Best clinical paper award conducted by Indian Dental Association, TamilNadu state branch- Closure of Median Diastema with Beggs Technique
b. Received the state best teacher award for dental faculty for the year 2010 from Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R.Medical University
Research and Publication
||Dr.S.Prem Kumar. Prof.
|| Journal Publication
1. Alterd Oral Sensory Perception in tongue thrusters with anterior open bite(2010)
2. Estimation of DHEA s in various skeletal stages of maturation(2012)
3.Effective Human Pulpal Blood flow changes during brief intrusive force application and continous orthodontic force application using laser Doppler flowmetry .(2010)
4 Clinical application of palatal lift (2011)
5 Assessment of Maximum Voluntary Bite Force in children and adults with normal occlusion (2012)
1. Prep Manual for Undergraduates- Orthodontics I and II editions- Elsevier publications-2008 and 2011
2. Edited Graber’s Textbook of Orthodontics- Elsevier publication. -2009
3.Textbook of Craniofacial Growth- International Edition 2011 by Jaypee Publishers