DEPARTMENT OF ORAL MEDICINE AND RADIOLOGY
The Department of Oral Medicine& Radiology was established in the year 1981.Thedepartment provides training for UG(BDS),PG(MDS,OMR),CRRI,Medical students(MBBS) &dental hygienist.
The department is recognized for Ph.D. programme in Oral Medicine &Radiology by Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R.Medical University.Dr.S.Jayachandran, M.D.S.,Ph.D., is a recognized guide for the Ph.D programme.
The department has separate Radiology Department with 5 intra oral X-Ray machine,One 60mA general X-Ray unit, Radiovisiogram provision, OPG , Cephalogram .Radiation protection measures are well performed. Specialized radiographic techniques like SIALOGRAPHY are done.
Speciality cases like oral lichen planus, herpetic gingivostomatitis, recurrent herpes labialis, recurrent aphthus stomatitis, Pemphigus , Erthyema multiforme, Precancerous conditions like oral submucous fibrosis &precancerous lesions like oral leukoplakia are diagnosed & treated in the department. Mucosal biopsy procedure are performed in necessary cases.
Referred cases from Rajiv Gandhi General Hospital,Stanley,KMC &other hospitals are diagnosed and treated.
Medicolegal cases are recorded and radiographic evaluation will be done. Age estimation for sports persons is done in the department.
Oral precancer lesion evaluation, Habit Counseling are done.tretment planning and dental consideration for other medically compromised patient,Pre radiotherapy Dental Planning are also done.
The department has ICTC lab for HIV Testing. There is one lab technician and a counselor available. Monthly295-300 cases are screened and counseled.
RVG and Intra oral camera are available for patient documentation.
Department Research Activity:
PG students research project funded by Tamil Nadu state Science &Technology council,Chennai.
Dr.S. JAYACHANDRAN M.D.S.,Ph.D.,: Professor & HOD
Dr.G. MURALI GOPIKA MANOHARAN M.D.S.,: Professor
Dr.L. KAYAL M.D.S., : Civil Sur. & Reader
Capt.Dr.P. REGU M.D.S., : Civil Sur. &Asst. Professor
Awards Won By Faculty Members
Dr.S.Jayachandran M.D.S.,Ph.D., - Professor & HOD
(The College Of Physicians Of Philadelphia)
- TamilNadu Scientist award(TANSA) - 2008
- Louis Pasteur Medal - 2011
(Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University)
- Best Teacher Award - 2010
(Indian Society For Dental Research)
(International College Of Dentists India Section 6)
- International college of denists award -2008
(International Study Group)
Research and Publication
||Dr.S.Jayachandran Prof & HOD, Ph.D.,
1.Cherubism combined with epilepsy , mental retardation and gingival fibromatosis(Ramon syndrome): A Case report(2010)
2.Regional odontodysplasia:Report of a case(2012)
3. A rare case of sclerosing mucoepidermoid carcinoma of minor salivary gland – A diagnostic enigma(2011)
4. Chondroectodermal Dysplasia(Ellis-van Creveld Syndrome):A case report with dental considerations and review of
5. Qualitative immunoassay for detection of antibodies to HIV ½ in oral mucosal transudate- A diagnostic study.(2011)
6.Treatment of oral lichen planus with methylene blue mediated photodynamic therapy – A clinical study.(2012)
7.Submandibular sialoithiasis analysis of 4 Case reports.(2010)
8.In vivo native fluoresence specctroscopy and nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide/flavinadenine dinucleotide reduction and oxidation state of oral submucous fibrosis for chemopreventive drug monitoring.(2010)
9.Diffuse reflection spectrometry of pre and post treated oral submucous fibrosis- An In vivo study.(2010)
10. Christ – Siemens –Touraine Syndrome wit a rare findings of macroglossia - A case report of three siblings.(2011)
11.In vivo native fluorescence spectroscopy and nicotinamide adinine dinucleotide/flavin adenine dinucleotide
Reduction and oxidation states of oral submucous fibrosis for chemopreventive drug monitoring.
1.Florid cemto osseous dysplasia.(2006)
2.Benign osteopetrosis with secondary osteomyelitic changes in the mandible: A report of two rare cases.(2009)
4.Autofloresence and diffuse reflectance spectroscopic analysis of oral premalignancy and malignancy.(2009)
5.assesment of salivary gland enlargement with the aid of ultrasound – guided FNAC, CT and MRI:A hospital based diagnostic study.(2009)
6.Focal cemento- osseous dysplasia with secondary osteomyelitis- A case report(2009)
7.In vivo autofluoresnce characteristics of pre and post treated oral submucous fibrosis: A pilot study.(2009)
8.Giant submandibular sialolit presenting with sialocutaneous and sialo – oral fistula : A case report and review of literature(2011)
9. Prevalence and distribution of dental anamolies in general population - An observational study. (2011)
10. Mucormycosis presenting as palatal perforation.(2006)
11.A comparative study on two dimensional and three dimensional computed tomogrphic images of maxillofacial lesions.(2007)
12.Cemento ossifying fibroma of mandible :Report of two cases.(2010)
13.Cleidocranial dysplasia:Report of 4 cases and review.(2008)
14.Malignai melanoma- A case report.(2011)
15. Giant sialolith – A case report(2006)
16.Clinical update on oral lichen planus.(2009)
17.Benign osteopetrosis wit secondary osteomylelitic changes in the manible:A report of two rare cases.(2009)
||Dr.G.V.Murali Gopika Manoharan Prof.
1. How to name it :A rare case of odentogenic cyst(2007)
2.Management of hyperactive Gag reflex using body and ear acupuncture combination technique.(2006)
1.Hereditary anhidrotic ectodermal dysplasia with torus palatines - A case report(2011)
2.Langerhans cell disease - A case report(1999)
3. Central cementifying fibroma -A case report and review.(2002)
4.Adenomatoid odontogenic tumour - A case report.(2001)
5.Salivary duct carcinoma of the palate(2005)
||Dr. L.Kayal Civil Sur. & Reader
1. A rare case of sclerosing mucoepidermoid carcinoma of minor salivary gland – A diagnostic enigma(2011)
2. Chondroectodermal Dysplasia(Ellis-van Creveld Syndrome):A case report with dental considerations and review of
3. Christ – Siemens –Touraine Syndrome wit a rare findings of macroglossia - A case report of three siblings.(2011)
1. Prevalence and distribution of dental anamolies in general population - An observational study. (2011)
2. Benign osteopetrosis with secondary osteomyelitic changes in the mandible: A report of two rare cases.(2009)
List of laboratory tests performed
- Total blood count
- Differential blood count
- Hemoglobin percentage estimation
- Peripheral smear
- Platelet count
- Bleeding time
- Clotting time
Integrated Testing &CounselingCenter:
- Urine sugar estimation
- Urine albumin estimation
Average statistics for investigations performed/annum (July 2011- June 2012)
Total blood count -4934
Differential blood count -4934
Hemoglobin percentage estimation -5024
Platelet count- 2371
Bleeding time- 9238
Clotting time- 9238
Urine sugar estimation - 4786
Urine albumin estimation - 1192
Integrated Testing &Counseling Center:
Counseled - 3666
Blood tested - 3113
HIV +ve - 32
HIV –ve - 3081