::: About Institution : Institution History
HISTORY
The origin of the Dental Department in the Government General hospital, Madras dates back to 1883 when the Madras education department initiated a clinic in the Government hospital for the treatment of patients with dental problems and was handled by a Royal army dental assistant. The dental wing of Madras Medical College came into existence on 10.8.1953. Fifteen candidates were selected on the basis of representations form various linguistic parts of Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh. In the year, 1954, the number of admission to BDS course was increased and from fifteen to eighteen, then in 1956 it was increased to twenty and periodically increased to the present 100 seats. On the recommendation of the Dental Council of India, regarding the need for more physical space, the Government of Tamilnadu accepted the construction of a separate building under the second Five Year Plan scheme. Construction was started in the year of 1958 and completed by 1961 (The Present Building).
            While celebrating the silver jubilee of Dental wing in 1978 a proposal was submitted which was examined by the Government and an order was passed stating the separation of Dental Wing from the Madras Medical College to be form an independent Dental College, with independent budget from 3rd October 1979.
Inauguration of Madras Dental College was done by his Excellency Prabhudas Patwari the then Governor of Tamilnadu on 26th February 1980. During bifurcation, the Dean of Madras Medical. was relieved of charge and Dr.B.P.Rajan was appointed as The Principal . It was affiliated to Madras University. From then onwards, the Madras Dental College and Hospital has been functioning with excellence to maintain the dignity and honor of the dental profession and imparting glorious knowledge to hundreds of dental students throughout Tamilnadu and all over India.
In the year 1992, the institution was renamed as Tamilnadu Government Dental College and Hospital and has been affiliated to The Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai, since the inception of the Medical University.
To fulfill one of the conditions of the Dental Council of India and to accommodate the facilities for the Students and to meet the needs for increasing the number of seats for BDS & MDS courses , the Tamil Nadu Government has allotted the land of 52 grounds 1385 sq.ft. at the Old MUC (MADRAS UNITED CLUB)and at  a cost of Rs.13.66 crores-administrative / financial sanction- order was issued for a new multi storey building.The new building was inspected by Hon’ble Minister of Public Works Department Mr. K.V. Ramalingam, Hon’ble Minister of Labour Mr. S.T. Chellapandian and Hon’ble Minister of Health Dr.V.S.Vijay.
The Entire Excellent Elevated Building was inaugurated by our Hon’ble Chief Minister Selvi J Jayalalitha on 03-03-2012 at 1.50 PM through video conferencing. Our Principal Dr.K.S.G.A.Nasser gave an introductory speech in Tamil to our Hon’ble Chief minister about the number of Out-patients in our college as 326450in last year2011, presence of NCC, NSS, And Red Ribbon Club was mentioned.In addition to this our Hon’ble Chief Minister looking at the performance of the college sanctioned an additional amount of  Rupees 10crores and declared our college as the Centre of Excellence In Dentistry and  made the Statement under rule 110 of Tamil Nadu Assembly Secretariat rules on 20 -04 -2012. It has been planned to construct one more floor with facilities for a good Major Operation Theatre, students Auditorium and 2 class rooms. In addition to this the college will have increase in number of posts and equipments to upgrade it as Centre of excellence in Dentistry

Designed & Developed by

This site can be best viewed in 1024x768 screen resolution.